Yes, it’s really better than your grandmas chicken noodle soup recipe! I don’t know about you, but when I’m not feeling well I crave a comforting chicken noodle soup. Chicken noodle soup is not only good for the soul…it’s good for your body. Plus, it’s a great way to sneak some nutrients in to picky toddlers and kids. I started making this chicken noodle soup from scratch, and finally, made the effort to write it down because it’s just too good NOT to share! (I’m just kidding about your grandma. I’m sure her soup is great too!)
(As a member of the Amazon Associate Program I may make a small commission through links featured in this post but at no extra or additional cost to the reader. This post contains affiliate links. Please review my Disclosure of Advertisement HERE )
Things you may need to make this recipe:
Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven or Stock Pot
Ingredients for Chicken Noodle Soup:
Chicken Bouillon Cubes
No Yolk, Extra Wide, Whole Grain Egg Noodles
Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup
- 8 cups or two 32 ounce cartons of chicken broth
- 8 cups of water
- 6 ounces of uncooked no yolk extra wide, whole grain egg noodles
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 pound of sliced white mushrooms
- 2 large stalks of celery chopped
- 3 large peeled and chopped carrots
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. If your chicken is thawed/not frozen cook for around 20 minutes, or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees F and meat isn’t pink in the center. If frozen, cooking time should be 45-50 minutes.
- Once your chicken is in the oven, in a 7.5 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, simmer two cloves of chopped garlic in 1 tablespoon of melted butter on medium-medium high heat (option: sub butter for 1/4 cup of chicken broth). When the garlic turns a nice golden color, add 1 pound of sliced white mushrooms, stirring occasionally. After a few minutes, add 1/4 cup of chicken broth and cover, stirring once. After about 5 minutes, add carrots and celery. Cook for 5 more minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the chicken broth and water along with two bouillon cubes and salt, bring soup to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer. When your chicken is fully cooked, divide into bite sized pieces and add to soup. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, then add noodles. Simmer 15 more minutes and it will be ready to enjoy!
Tips for Making Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup
If you are running low on time and can’t cook your chicken in the oven, use a rotisserie chicken! Or cook your chicken (even from frozen!) in the Instant Pot. Not only can you cook the chicken in the Instant Pot, but you can saute your veggies and cook your soup all in the same pot using all of the different features offered on this versatile machine. It’s our most heavily used small appliance in our kitchen, and it’s a HUGE time (and dish) saver!
Once you’ve made your soup, you can freeze smaller portions to reheat sometime within the next 3 months. So, if you prefer to prep ahead, you can have this soup on hand for a fast and nutritious supper or in the event that illness strikes your household. I found that this is very helpful because no one wants to cook when they do not feel well. I’ve frozen and reheated this very recipe when I caught a bug, and I was grateful to have it so readily available. Also, I found that it froze and reheated just fine without compromising the quality of the soup!
Health Benefits of Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup is nutritious and hydrating with protein and vegetables. One of the most important things when sick, is to STAY hydrated, but many times eating and drinking is last thing you want to do when you feel sick. Simply drinking the broth from the soup can provide your body with electrolytes, various amino acids and vitamins helping give your body the fuel it needs to heal itself. I opted for the whole grain egg noodles to give a boost of healthy carbs to go along with the lean protein of the chicken breast.
However, you may want to opt for white noodles in lieu of whole grain so that the fiber will not further upset your stomach if you are suffering any digestive troubles. In addition to providing healing power, this is a great option for picky toddlers and kids that may not want to eat their veggies. I’ve found they will at least drink the broth or even try the veggies once they are mushier.
More Simple Recipes from Deerwood + Jones
HOW TO MAKE OLIVE NUT CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE SOUTHERN PIMENTO CHEESE
RECIPE FOR HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST DEVILED EGGS
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY JAM IN A BREAD MACHINE
If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to first, sign up for my newsletter below, then, follow me on Instagram! That way you won’t miss out on exclusive content I won’t feature anywhere else! Plus, you will get an inside look at my day-to-day on my InstaStories. In addition to recipes, I also post beginner-level sewing projects, DIY rustic decor and more!
Savor the Moment,
Natalie from Deerwood + Jones
Shop This Post!
Crock Pot Artisan Round Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 7-Quart, Blush Pink
FRUITEAM Nonstick Stock Pot 7 Qt Soup Pasta Pot with Lid, 7-Quart Multi Stockpot Oven Safe Cooking Pot for Stew, Sauce & Reheat Food, Induction/ Oven/ Gas/ Stovetops Compatible for Family Meals
Spring Chef Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons for Dry or Liquid, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Hudson Essentials Stainless Steel Measuring Cups Set – 6 Piece Stackable Set with Spout
Ligttle Plastic Cutting Board Set of 3, BPA Free Kitchen Cutting Boards with Juice Grooves and Easy Grip Handle, Dishwasher Safe & Non-Porous
Cuisinart C55-01-12PCKS Advantage Color Collection 12-Piece Knife Set, Multicolor
YYP Silicone Ladle Spoon, Heat-Resistant Silicone Soup Ladle, Ergonomic Wooden Handle Comfortable Non-Slip Durable, Non-Stick Serving Spoon Suitable for Home & Kitchen, Cooking, Making Soup 12.4 Inch
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Sterilizer, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, and Warmer, 6 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs