This post contains amazon affiliate links. Please review my Disclosure of Advertisement HERE )
If you love old-fashioned or vintage recipes, then you will appreciate this post on how to make Kentucky Bourbon Bundt Cake. I’m a huge fan of pantry cooking, and this dessert was created on a whim using ingredients I already had on hand. Also, I really love cooking with bourbon. For example, check out this amazing recipe for Bourbon Maple Pumpkin Pie!
I, particularly, love this new recipe because I did not have cake flour or mix, but I really wanted to make a cake from scratch. So, I looked through my pantry and found myself wondering…
Can you use Belgian waffle mix to make cake?
Spoiler alert- You can! And this recipe is the proof. I am by no means an expert baker, however, I’ve picked up a few things here and there as I’ve tried to improve my baking and cooking skills during the last few years. I’ll try walk you through the process of how I come up with ideas for recipes. In this case, I assumed that Belgian waffle mix has baking powder for leavening and recalled one time I came across an old fashioned cooking tip for cake-like desserts-equal parts flour, sugar and butter.
Sometimes, my memory is horrible and other times I have a photographic memory. Suddenly, a picture of the instructions on the back of a cake mix box popped into my head: 1 cup of water, 2 eggs, 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil. Now, I don’t know if this is ENTIRELY accurate, but it sounded good to my brain. Since I was making a bundt cake, I decided I needed to double the wet ingredients. However, for the water, I didn’t quite double it because I would be adding vanilla extract and bourbon.
And, unfortunately, when I returned to my “pantry”, I discovered the vegetable oil was expired and had to toss it. So, I used coconut oil. And then, behind the coconut oil, was my homemade vanilla extract. So, in it went, along with the bourbon, Belgian waffle mix, butter and eggs.
Kentucky Bourbon Bundt Cake Ingredients
Belgian Waffle Mix
Cooking Spray (I used Avocado Oil)
Materials and Tools Needed to Make a Bundt Cake
Kentucky Bourbon Bundt Cake
- 2 Cups of Belgian Waffle Mix
- 2 Cups of Granulated White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup of Powdered Sugar
- 2 Cups of Softened Unsalted Butter
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons of melted Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 4 Ounces of Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- 2 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit. In a large mixing bowl (or standing Mixer), mix Belgian waffle mix and sugar and softened butter. Once mixed, add 4 beaten eggs, vanilla extract, coconut oil, bourbon and water. Mix into an even batter. If too thick, may add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it resembles a cake or pancake-like batter.
- Spray bundt pan with cooking oil spray. Evenly pour batter into pan. Bake on middle rack for 40-45 minutes. Begin checking cake with a toothpick around 30 minutes. If toothpick comes out dry, cake is ready. If batter is on toothpick, continue checking until toothpick comes out of cake without batter.
- Let cake completely cool. You may carefully flip out onto plate when bundt pan is cool to the touch. Top with powdered sugar prior to serving.
Best Toppings for Bundt Cakes
For this specific cake, I had a cup of blackberries in my fridge and I didn’t want them to go to waste. So, I combined a cup of blackberries with a cup of brown sugar in a sauce pan on medium hit and stirred/mashed the berries frequently with a fork. After about 10 minutes, I lowered the heat to low/medium and let it simmer for about 10 more minutes with more mashing and stirring. Then, I strained the mixture through a metal mesh strainer. Soon after, I had a mason jar of homemade blackberry syrup.
I topped my piece of cake with the blackberry syrup. You can do this with any type of berries though, and it would taste delicious with this cake or pancakes. My husband opted to add vanilla ice cream with this syrup to his piece of cake. Whipped cream, maple syrup, sugar glaze (aka melted butter and powered sugar), and fresh berries are all good options for this cake!
Kentucky Derby Party Recipes
This pie is the perfect dessert to serve at your next Kentucky Derby-themed party because the bourbon is the STAR of this recipe. Other Deerwood and Jones recipes that might enjoy serving at your gathering are listed here:
Homemade Southern Pimento Cheese
If you enjoy old-fashioned or rustic recipes, then go ahead and signup for the Deerwood + Jones Newsletter below. In addition to recipes, I post craft and DIY ideas!
Savor the Moment,
Natalie from Deerwood + Jones
Shop This Post!
casaWare Fluted Cake Pan 9.5-inch (12-Cup) Ceramic Coated NonStick (Silver Granite)
Spring Chef Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Metal Measuring Spoons for Dry or Liquid, Fits in Spice Jar, Set of 6 with bonus Leveler
Hudson Essentials Stainless Steel Measuring Cups Set (6 Piece Set)
KitchenAid KHM512IC 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, Ice Blue
KitchenAid KITCH K45SSOB Mixer 4.5, 250watts, Onyx Black
Cuisinart CTG-00-SMB Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls with Lids, 3 Piece